Monday 21 January 2008

The book in my hands

Twenty complimentary copies of the 'Last Escape' arrived at my door the other day. It was with a great sense of accomplishment that I held the book in my hands for the first time. It seemed like I had been waiting ages for the moment to come - I know that I hadn't, not really. Some people wait years to see there name on the spine of a book, and for many the moment never comes. It had taken me less than a year.

My first impression of the book was that it...Well, it looked like a real book. I was impressed with the design of the thing and thought the typesetting looked very professional; but of course I 'm biased.

I must admit that I do feel very proud of it and spent most of that day turning it over in my hands and sneaking glances at it. I even read a couple of chapters and found the fact that it was on paper meant that it was easier to read. I don't enjoy reading on a computer screen half as much as I do a real book. I had spent months staring at the words in the manuscript, trying to make them readable and near the end began to feel sick just looking at it. The book version made my words seem fresh again.

I now wait eagerly to see what, if any, impact this book will have on its readers. I am not sure when exactly it will hit the shops and living in the middle of nowhere means that I can't check. What if everyone hates it and all they can see is the deficiencies in my writing? How will I cope with the criticism? The truth is that I will remain proud of the 'Last Escape'. It was a genuine attempt by me to be open and honest with the world, and I did my best.

My stack of twenty copies of 'Last Escape' have already begun to dwindle. I gave a few copies to friends here in the village. I also sent a few to Wat Thamkrabok; without the temple there would have been no book to start with. I even signed the copies. I hope this doesn't seem a bit pretentious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations--I'm so glad you're sharing your story.

Most readers prefer copies signed by the author--it's much more personal. You're not being pretentious at all, just professional and thoughtful.

Ronnie said...

Congratulations, Paul! I look forward to reading your book.

I "knew" you long ago on the We Quit Drinking site when you were struggling, before you went to Wat Thamkrabok.

It is amazing what is possible when one simply does not drink. The richness and wonder of life, unblurred by booze, is not to be missed!