Saturday 23 February 2008

Karma and the Satja vow

An important idea in Buddhism is karma (kamma). The belief that actions have consequences and that our intended actions will have consequences for us. I find the idea of karma easy to accept. It makes sense to me. I have seen it work in my life on many occasions. I don't think there is anything magical about it, and I don't think that you need to be a Buddhist in order to accept it. Many people likely believe in karma without realising it.


I feel that many people wrongly view karma as being about punishment. I don't see it that way. For me it is just one of natures laws and so it's value free. Put very simply, when I do good things then good things will come my way, and when I do negative things then negative come my way. I am not being punished for doing wrong, but instead I am just getting back from the system what I put into it. Not everything that happens to me will be due to my karma, but it’s an important factor and it’s something that I have control over.


A simple example of how this works would be that if I help somebody else it will cause me to feel good about myself. An instant good result from my actions. It may also mean that the person who I have helped might help me at some stage. It could also mean that if I help people a lot then at a later time I might look back at my life and say, 'hey, I'm not that bad a person'. All these are positive outcomes from my actions.


A very positive action which I took was quitting alcohol. It continues to provide positive results even today, and I'm convinced that it will continue to do so into the future. This is what the satja vow is all about, which was the vow I made at Wat Thamkrabok to quit my addiction. I made a positive change in my life and has put my life on course for a bright future. Of course bad things will still happen occasionally but, unlike my previous life as a drunk, it won't be one disaster after another.


The most fantastic thing that the satja vow provides is that it allows me to lighten up on things. When I put my trust in the promise of the vow, that my life will improve so long as I maintain it, then I have much less in life to worry about. Things may seem bleak at times, but so long as I don't return to addiction then they will get better. I can't imagine ever ending up in the gutter sober. If I continue to sow good seeds then there will be good results at some time in the future.


An important thing to remember though is that while the satja vow promises that positive things will enter my life, so long as I maintain the vow, it doesn’t promise that things will always go my way. What I want and what is meant for me aren’t always the same thing. Sometimes I need to be patient, but when I look back I can see that life has taken me to where I need to be.

No comments: